One of the most divisive aspects of both The Joker (Jared Leto) and Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) in director David Ayer’s Suicide Squad has, from the beginning, been both the characters’ heavy amounts of tattoos and ink on their bodies, with many fans disparaging the tattoos for being too on-the-nose and trashy for their liking. To their credit as well, there are a few on both characters as well that may be a bit too cheesy for their own good.
After Ayer recently teased a very specific story with the tattoos on Jared Leto’s Joker in the film though, Robbie herself has revealed some interesting new details about Harley’s tattoos in the movie, and specifically, how she got them.
In a recent conversation with Yahoo! Movies, the actress addressed Harley’s tattoos in the movie with the following:
“She did these herself in prison. They’re stick and poke tattoos, prison-style tattoos, that you do when you don’t have a tattoo gun. She did them herself out of boredom and desperation. There’s ‘I heart Puddin’, a Joker face, a love heart, that’s obviously reflective of her time in prison.”
Ayer went on to praise Robbie’s performance in the film as well, calling it “magnetic”:
“I don’t know what to say other than a star is born. She’s riveting, magnetic, she is the character. I don’t recognise her out of make-up, we spend so much time together on set, I’m uncomfortable around her if she’s not in make-up.”
In all of the trailers, Harley has perhaps been the highlight of the footage shown, and its seemed like her tattoos have been at the very least, a little bit more accepted by the fans than Jared Leto’s have been as the Joker. Then again though, when you have an actress like Robbie, who was practically born to play the role of Harley, I imagine you’ll let a few aesthetic choices slide, just to see what she might give in her performance as the character.
Suicide Squad is set to hit theatres on August 5th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016