For those who might’ve worried that the ongoing adventures of Springfield, USA’s most famous family were going to be coming to an end soon, don’t worry: they’re coming back.
According to Variety, Fox has announced that it has picked up Matt Groening’s iconic animated series “The Simpsons” for seasons 27 and 28. The addition of these two new seasons will bring the full episode total to a staggering figure of 625, further cementing its place as one of the most prolific and long-lived television series in history. The newsbreaking piece even includes a quote from the venerable Homer Simpson himself, where he says,
I’ve outlasted Letterman, Jon Stewart and ‘McDreamy,’ because I have something they don’t: a costly 200-donut-a-day addiction.
Already the winner of over 30 Emmy awards, an Oscar nomination, and the first animated series to win the coveted Peabody Award for “distinguished and meritorious public service” in the American media industry since its 1989 premiere, “The Simpsons” continues to be one of the most popular ongoing animated series on TV today. It’s expected to hold down the fort for Fox’s “Animation Domination” lineup, as the network is expected to pick up Seth MacFarlane’s “Family Guy” for a 14th season, while “Bob’s Burgers” has already been renewed for its sixth year. Last year, the Simpsons met the Griffins in a crossover with “Family Guy,” and the Simpsons also crossed over with another Groening creation, the recently canceled “Futurama.”
“The Simpsons” airs every Sunday on Fox, and will be wrapping up its current season in the next two weeks. For more on the show as it continues, keep an eye on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5′ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2′ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015