Time for the years most distinguished list! Who got robbed the most? Or depending on how you look at it…..what movie saved internet watchers the most money in 2015? Let’s take a look. (List via Variety)
- Interstellar – 46,762,310
- Furious 7 – 44,794,877
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – 41,594,159
- Jurassic World – 36,881,763
- Mad Max: Fury Road- 36,443,244
- American Sniper – 33,953,737
- Fifty Shades of Grey- 32,126,827
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies- 31,574,872
- Terminator: Genisys- 31,001480
- Kingsman: The Secret Service- 30,922,98
To be fair most of these movies are pretty damn good special effects films and deserve to be watched on the big screen. That being said a lot of people will watch these films online and still go to the theater to see them in the end. But there’s no way of knowing for sure. One thing that is for sure however, piracy is on the upswing.
This years most pirated movie Interstellar (& lets be honest most people probably pirated it so they could figure out what the hell just happened after they paid to watch it the first time. That shit was confusing) had 55% more downloads than 2014′s most pirated film Wolf of Wall Street. Last year Wolf came in on top with 1 million less views than this years number 10. More people are pirating movies than ever before.
While it stands to reason that nobody is weeping for these billion dollar studio’s you have to wonder what’s going to happen if the trend continues to go up the easier it gets to stream these movies. I mean, I’m happy some people decided they were too hot and bothered by Fifty Shades to sit in the theater with the rest of us. That would have just been awkward. I heard stories. Still yet if these films are being pirated, so are the smaller ones. The ones who really need the box office.
So lets atleast be gentleman about the smaller films shall we? I realize its a free for all out there but if we want to continue to have options other than Adam Sandler in a movie based on a board game part 3? We gotsta support those indies with our cold hard cash. Studios don’t give a crap if everyone loved a movie they made four dollars and a pack of Chewlie’s gum on. What do you think GeekNation? Should we get more responsible or do you hope the world goes Tyler Durden on Hollywood?
Latest posts by Mike Holtz (see all)
- ‘Funny Or Die’ Just Dropped A Movie Starring Johnny Depp as Donald Trump - February 10, 2016
- Get Ready To Play A Little Game: ‘Saw: Legacy’ Is Happening - February 10, 2016
- Johnny Depp To Star In Upcoming Monster Movie Revival ‘The Invisible Man’ - February 10, 2016
- We’re Getting A New Full Length ‘Batman V. Superman’ Trailer Very Soon - February 7, 2016
- The Newest Teaser Trailer For ‘Daredevil Season 2′ Is Here - February 7, 2016