We already know that Darth Vader is going to be appearing in Rogue One – A Star Wars Story later this year, and we knew it way before Disney and Lucasfilm even came close to confirming it as well. However, he’s not the only familiar character who’s been rumored to be making an appearance in the film, and after director Gareth Edwards already confirmed that Han Solo will not be featured in Rogue One, it looks like yet another character can be crossed off that list as well.
Ian McDiarmid, who played Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars films, spoke with XGN (via the Hounds Tooth Blog) while appearing at the Amsterdam Comic-Con, and confirmed that he will not be reprising his beloved role for the upcoming spin-off film, despite the film’s setting take place during his reign over the Galaxy:
“I don’t feature in that myself, but I understand that Darth Vader may be making an appearance.”
You can check out the video where McDiarmid says so as well, below:
Now, this doesn’t come as a surprise necessarily, considering the complete lack of the Emperor’s presence in any of the film’s promotion up until this point, even despite some fans theorizing about his possible appearance alongside his Sith Apprentice. Considering all of the new characters that the film will have to introduce and balance though, this is probably a good thing in the end. Besides, do we really need more than Vader anyways?
Rogue One – A Star Wars Story is set to hit theatres on December 16th.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016