We all know that the main villain in Avengers: Age of Ultron is going to be, well, Ultron. (It’s right there in the title!) James Spader is voicing the evil robot, but it looks like he won’t be the only thorn in the Avengers’ collective side: The Wrap is reporting that actor Thomas Kretschmann (King Kong, Wanted, U-571) has signed on to play Baron Wolfgang von Strucker.
If you’re not up to date on every character in the Marvel universe, Strucker is an agent of HYDRA, the organization formerly operated by Red Skull in the first Captain America film. In the comics, the character has a myriad of special abilities, notably repressed aging, genius-level intellect, and a healing factor. Sounds like he could cause some trouble for S.H.I.E.L.D. and its superheroic fighting force. Although the timeline is a bit different than what we’ll see in the movies, it should also be noted that Strucker was responsible for training Natasha Romanoff (aka Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow) and turning her into a skilled assassin, so perhaps that relationship will factor into the upcoming sequel as well.
A quick glance at Kretschmann’s IMDb page reveals that the dude has been working hard since the mid-to-late ’80s, so I’m glad to see him land what will certainly be his most high-profile part to date. And with the way Marvel films work, it’s very possible that we’ll be seeing this character in many movies to come. (Captain America 3, anyone?)
What do you think? Excited about seeing this character make it to the big screen? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014