Through the use of brief snippets of “news” footage, the opening credit sequence of Matt Reeves’ Dawn of the Planet of the Apes explains how humanity was basically wiped out thanks to the spread of the simian flu transferred to humans at the end of 2011’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes. But for fans hoping for a little more backstory about the ten years that have elapsed since the end of Rise and the beginning of Dawn, VICE’s Motherboard website has teamed with 20th Century Fox to produce three new short films that fill in those gaps in a more personal way than just seeing an explanation from a talking head.
“Before the Dawn” is a trilogy from three different filmmakers: Isaiah Seret’s heartbreaking Quarantine shows an infected wife and the father and daughter who try to stay in touch with her; Daniel Thron’s All Fall Down follows a young woman who makes the most of what she has while she watches everyone else yearn for what they once had; and thirtytwo’s The Gun follows a single shotgun through the hands of different owners as things get progressively worse. All three are moody, evocative pieces of filmmaking, and they do a really good job of building a sense of dread from the idea of the danger that could break out at any moment in an apocalyptic environment. Watch all three shorts below, and let us know what you think in the comments at the bottom of this article.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014