In a year when two new video game adaptations are attempting to break the long-running curse in Hollywood in both Warcraft and Assassin’s Creed, Warner Bros. and MGM are also attempting to start work on the reboot to their long-troubled Tomb Raider film franchise after the unsuccessful, and critically-panned Angelina Jolie-led films from the 2000s.
Over the past few months as well, The Force Awakens breakout star Daisy Ridley has been rumored to be up for the lead role of Lara Croft in the film, with even Ridley herself has come out and shared her excitement at the possibility.
Looks like the film has found its Lara Croft though, and while it’s not Ridley, it’s still one of the most talented and promising young actresses working in the industry today.
THR is reporting that Ex Machina star and Oscar-winner, Alicia Vikander, has signed on to play the role of Croft in the film. The Wave director, Roar Uthaug, is set to direct the film as well, which will follow Croft as she attempts to survive her first adventure. A plot similar to that of the recent, critically-acclaimed video game reboot as well.
2015 was a breakout year for Vikander, after her notable turns in films like Ex Machina, Testaminet of Youth, The Danish Girl, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and more. She can next be seen later this year in Jason Bourne and The Light Between Oceans (my most anticipated film of the year).
This casting gives Vikander her own franchise to carry now, after establishing herself as a more than capable actress in the previously-mentioned dramas last year. Apparently, Ridley was never actually up for the role (though Suicide Squad star Cara Delevignge was apparently in talks at one point), and while I would have liked Ridley in the role, Vikander is a more than suitable replacement. Now, with her star power and a much different industry than before, here’s to hoping the Tomb Raider reboot will turn out better than the previous adaptations.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016