In 2014, the first season of True Detective was one of the most talked about additions to the pop culture world that audiences had experienced in a long time, as the crime thriller starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson not only skyrocketed director Cary Funkunaga into filmmaking superstardom, but series creator Nic Pizzolatto as well. That was, until the second season last year anyways.
A critically-underwhelming and slightly rushed sophomore outing from the series put a serious damper on excitement towards the show, and it looks like, fans might have seen the last of True Detective after all. Whether they knew it at the time or not.
A new report from THR suggests that Pizzolatto may not be working on a follow-up third season of the series, but will instead be focusing more on new original content for HBO, as part of his two year deal with the outlet until 2018. Hopefully, this means that he’ll get to spend more time working on the new content as well, instead of being rushed to put it out like he was with True Detective season two.
Until then, Pizzolatto also worked on the screenplay for director Antoine Fuqua’s upcoming remake of The Magnificent Seven, which is set for a September release right now, and seems to fit Pizzolatto’s style more than the noir-heavy season two of Detective as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if an announcement of his next project might come sometime around that film’s release as well, to capitalize on his exposure at the time.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016