Despite several progress updates and casting decisions over the past few months, Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One, the film adaptation of the beloved novel by Ernest Cline, has yet to cast a number of its lead roles still, although some of this could be attributed to Spielberg’s packed schedule currently, finishing The BFG and campaigning for Bridge of Spies.
After casting Olivia Cooke as the film’s female lead though, it looks like the highly-anticipated film adaptation has finally found its lead character.
According to a new report from Deadline, Mud and X-Men: Apocalypse star Tye Sheridan has signed on to play the role of Wade in the film, the story’s lead character who goes on a treasure hunt through the virtual world known as OASIS, in search of a grand prize left by the world’s creator. He joins the previously mentioned Cooke and Ben Mendelsohn, who is set to play the film’s villain.
This comes as welcome news finally too, after months of speculating who could be playing Wade in the film, and its release date getting pushed recently, in order to avoid competing with Disney’s Star Wars: Episode VIII. After making his breakout turn in Terrence Malick’s The Tree of Life in 2011 as well, Sheridan has gone on to have a fairly solid career for himself with Jeff Nichols’ Mud, and his upcoming role as Cyclops in X-Men: Apocalupse.
Considering how beloved Cline’s source material is though, I think fans are just happy that the film adaptation is happening at all, despite some of Spielberg’s concerning statements about the film’s pop culture references and influences. I don’t know how close of an adaptation it will end up being, but it is comforting to know that at least the film’s cast will be just as stellar as it should be.
Ready Player One is set to hit theatres on March 30th, 2018.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016