Well, we can add at least one more movie to the potential carnage of the Summer 2015 release calendar.
THR reports Universal has slated the next Bourne film for August 14th, 2015. The movie ( which still doesn’t have a title) brings back Jeremy Renner as Aaron Cross, and will be directed by Justin Lin, the man responsible for resuscitating the Fast and Furious franchise and making it one of the studio’s biggest moneymakers. I liked The Bourne Legacy more than most, but placing this sequel in August after a summer of insanity doesn’t seem like the most inspired idea. Competition will be absolutely cutthroat at that point, and after a summer full of would-be blockbusters (including Avengers: Age of Ultron, Tomorrowland, Jurassic World, Batman vs. Superman, Ant-Man, and Assassin’s Creed just to name a few), audiences could easily be burned out (and broke) from going to the movies. Add to this the fact that Matt Damon won’t be in this sequel, and The Bourne Legacy made a little more than half of the box office haul of The Bourne Ultimatum, and we could be looking at a big studio casualty with this one.
In separate ass-kicking movie news, Universal has also set a release date for the Luc Besson-directed film Lucy, which stars Scarlett Johansson as a woman forced to become a drug mule. Instead of transporting the drug, she’s injected with it and it changes her into an ass-kicking badass who can absorb knowledge instantaneously (whoa), move objects with her mind, and doesn’t feel pain. That one will drop almost a year earlier than Bourne, hitting screens on August 8th, 2014.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014