Just a few days ago, we reported that Walt Disney Pictures had reached a box office milestone for 2015, with hits like Avengers: Age of Ultron and Pixar’s Inside Out pushing them past the $3 billion threshold in worldwide ticket sales. Now, another studio has hit that same threshold, right on their heels.
According to Variety, Universal Pictures has crossed the $3 billion mark at the 2015 international box office. Most of this performance can be attributed to hits like April’s Furious 7, the ongoing solid performance of June’s Jurassic World, as well as a strong international debut for Minions, the Despicable Me spin-off that will bow in the United States this coming Friday, July 10th. With Furious 7 having grossed $1.16 billion and Jurassic World standing on the cusp of a $1 billion gross (currently sitting at just below $850 million), Minions has already grossed $142 million before it’s even opened in the U.S. Other hits include Pitch Perfect 2, which has grossed $278 million on a modest $29 million budget, and Fifty Shades of Grey, which has grossed $570 million on a budget of just $40 million.
This marks the first time in Universal’s century-long history that they’ve ever had international grosses reach this high, and their films have held the number one spot at the box office this year for nine weeks, which is more than any other studio. Their year of fortune may not be finished yet, either, as their upcoming films include the Amy Schumer-starring, Judd Apatow-directed comedy Trainwreck, the adventure/thriller film Everest, as well as Danny Boyle’s biopic Steve Jobs.
For more box office news as it comes in, stay tuned to GeekNation.
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5′ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2′ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015