With Marvel currently in the works on their own, half-hour comedy series in Damage Control, DC has been quietly working on their own show in the same format as well called Powerless, a new workplace comedy about a group of insurance workers that have to live in a world full of destruction caused by the heroes and villains of the DC comics.
While not much information has been released other than the premise and network for Damage Control, DC has finally found the lead actress for Powerless.
Coming off of her critically-acclaimed performance in Grease Live! a few weeks ago, Variety is reporting that Vanessa Hudgens is reportedly set to lead the new NBC comedy series as Emily Locke, a shy insurance agent that likes her job because of how she gets to help people, though she’s growing increasingly more frustrated with the trouble and antics of the superheroes and villains that occupy her city.
The series marks Hudgens’ first regular role on a TV series, and is created by A to Z‘s Ben Queen and executive produced by Michael Patrick Jann, who is also set to direct the series’ pilot episode.
After making her breakout turn in the High School Musical franchise, Hudgens has gone on to break out of her Disney Channel persona quite successfully since through her work in films like Gimme Shelter, Spring Breakers, and more. She’s certainly proven she’s got the chops to be a standout in an ensemble cast before, but it will be interesting to see how she does in this niche corner of the superhero genre.
Powerless is currently in development.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016