I don’t think that it’s probably all that hard to imagine Viggo Mortensen playing a man who raises his kids in the forests, tucked away from civilization. After all, we’ve seen him do much stranger things onscreen than that. In Captain Fantastic though, it looks like Mortensen is fully embracing his renaissance man vibes, as he plays the father of a family raised in the woods, who must return to civilization following the death of his wife and their mother.
The film from writer and director Matt Ross premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, to mostly mixed reviews. Some called the film hollow, while others called it uplifting, but with an interesting, quirky premise and a strong lead performance from Mortensen, I wouldn’t rule Captain Fantastic out as being one of the possible indie dark horses of the summer.
The first trailer for the film debuted online today as well, which you can check out below:
It’s definitely striving to strike the same quirky, but heartwarming balance as that demonstrated brilliantly in Little Miss Sunshine. With that being said, it’s got a packed, talented cast on its hands, and at the very least, looks gorgeous. Along with Mortensen though, George MacKay looks like one of the most exciting aspects of the film to me, after giving another impressive turn recently as well in Hulu’s 11.22.63, and it’ll be interesting to see if Captain Fantastic is able to solidify his place as an up and coming actor to watch out for or not.
Captain Fantastic is set to hit theatres on July 8th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016