The massive success of Furious 7 for Universal Pictures is unprecedented, and it seemed like only a matter of time before a sequel was made official. Now, we not only know that Furious 8 is coming, but we know when it’s coming.
According to Variety, franchise star Vin Diesel announced at CinemaCon that the eighth installment of the high-octane action franchise will be hitting theaters on April 14th, 2017. Diesel was visibly emotional when taking the stage at the event, since just two years prior, he stood in the same place alongside the late Paul Walker to announce that they would be embarking on a seventh installment, which would prove to be Walker’s final cinematic credit before a car crash claimed his life in November, 2013.
After the final moment of Furious 7 screened for the assembled crowd, depicting Walker’s and Diesel’s characters partaking in one final race before driving in different directions, Diesel expressed gratitude to fans by saying to the exhibitors, “You’ve been so loyal all along. You helped us create history here.”
Furious 7‘s massive box office success was recently punctuated by becoming Universal’s first film to top $1 billion in box office earnings worldwide. While it’s run is expected to cool off given the impending release of Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Age of Ultron, Furious 7 has become the most successful film of the 14 year old franchise, and will likely be a cornerstone of Universal’s business for the foreseeable future. For more on Furious 8 as it develops in the months to come, keep a tab open to GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015