Production on 2017′s War For the Planet of the Apes has officially begun, and director Matt Reeves has officially released the first set image from the film, which focuses on a scene extremely reminiscent of the events in the original 1968 film. Following last year’s summer hit, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes too, not much is known about the film’s sequel, but it looks like War will pick-up some time either during or after the battle between the humans and the apes that began at the end of the last film.
Reeves has spoken before about his plans for the future installments, and how he plans on concluding the story of Caesar (Andy Serkis) and the generations that will follow, leading up to the events of the original, Charlton Heston-led film. The set image features a mo-cap actor on top of horseback, speaking with another mo-cap actor on a gorgeous beach. Check it out below:
— Matt Reeves (@mattreevesLA) October 17, 2015
While there still isn’t much word on which cast members will be returning from some of the previous films, we do know that Andy Serkis will be reprising his role as Caesar, alongside newcomers Woody Harrelson as a human antagonist named The Colonel, Gabriel Chavarria, and Steve Zahn as a new Ape character. It’s unclear who the two actors in the image might be, though I wouldn’t be surprised if Caesar is the one on horseback because it definitely seems like his style.
Reeves has also revealed that he will be shooting War on 65mm film, making him one of a number of other filmmakers in the industry right now making a point of shooting on film, with the recent trend of digital production and projection in the industry continuing to grow. The image is definitely evocative of the original film in its aesthetic, and it looks like Reeves will be striving to provide War with an entirely different look and environment, much like how he changed the dynamic from Rise to Dawn.
War For the Planet of the Apes is set to hit theatres on July 14th, 2017.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016