Here we go again, kids.
The Wrap is reporting that Warner Bros. has obtained the film rights to the 1978 classic arcade game Space Invaders, and they’ve secured Oscar-winning writer Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind) as the movie’s producer. Joining him and his Weed Road Pictures will be the husband and wife team of Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell from Safehouse Pictures.
The “easy to learn, difficult to master” game is considered one of the earliest signs of the modern video game as well as helping the video game industry to be taken more seriously, turning it into a global phenomenon heading into the Golden Age of arcade gaming. It also made the little enemy alien a star and the go-to avatar for video game t-shirts, jewelry (I own an enemy alien necklace), stickers and beyond.
Well, whatever angle they decide to take, it won’t be as epic as Robot Chicken’s.
Considering there’s no director, no story, and no cast attached yet, I’m not gonna hold my breath; seeing as the Gears of War and Halo (with Peter Jackson attached) live-action films have been in development hell FOR YEARS (and we’ve heard all this crap before), how do we know it’s ACTUALLY going to happen (and should we even care)?
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015