I’d never heard of Broken Bells until just now, but the musical group – which consists of Brian “Danger Mouse” Burton and James Mercer of The Shins – certainly has my attention. The duo collaborated with an organization called POPfilms to create a science fiction short film in two parts that utilizes music from their upcoming second album, After The Disco.
The sci-fi project stars Anton Yelchin (Terminator Salvation, Star Trek) and Kate Mara (“House of Cards”) as lovers on a distant planet who, according to the press release, “battle space, time, and reality to be together.” The short was directed by Jacob Gentry, and it works very well as a sort of “Twilight Zone”-esque piece of sci-fi, heightened by the fact that there is no dialogue – it’s only Broken Bells’ cinematic music, the striking production design, and the performances of the actors that give this story life. Watch both parts embedded below:
To me, the short plays out as a sort of reverse Adam & Eve scenario with “Adam” being the one who bites the forbidden fruit this time, bringing an entirely new perspective that changes everything. I’d love to hear some of your interpretations, though, so please sound off in the comments and let me know what you think Gentry and his team are saying with the movie.
After The Disco will be in stores on January 14th, 2014.
Trivia: This short is actually the second for which Broken Bells has contributed music. The first starred “Mad Men” actress Christina Hendricks, and can be seen below:
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014