If you’re not a big sports or documentary fan, then you might not know about ESPN’s amazing documentary series 30 for 30. The sports network has aired two volumes of 30 documentary episodes each, some running at feature length, others clocking in at just under an hour. Each episode focuses on a figure or event in the sports world that typically hasn’t gotten much time in the spotlight, and they’re all captivating as hell.
Most of the episodes are available on Netflix Instant, and ESPN also has an online series called 30 for 30 Shorts which takes the same concept but keeps it in short form for those with the attention span of a goldfish. Now Yahoo Screen has taken it upon themselves to deliver a special 30 for 30 Short that focuses on the infamous basketball game between the Tune Squad and the Monstars, a game that Fox Sports correspondent Larry Burnett says, “If you saw it in a movie, you wouldn’t believe it. And it’d be a pretty bad movie, too.” Watch the short right here:
As you can see, real NBA analysts Doug Gottlieb and former players like Greg Anthony and Kurt Rambis get in on the action, making this a truly expert analysis of this iconic game featuring the legendary Michael Jordan. We’re not sure how they scored the guy who wrote Of Monstars And Men: The Space Jam Story, but they must have some pretty serious connections.
All right, if you haven’t guessed already, this is just a comedic short looking at the basketball game from the film Space Jam. But putting it in this context is so damn funny, especially when they start talking about the cartoon antics as reality. It would be great if they did this with other silly sports films from my childhood like The Big Green, The Sandlot, The Mighty Ducks and Little Giants.
Latest posts by Ethan Anderton (see all)
- Did The Mother from ‘How I Met Your Mother’ Debunk a Popular Finale Theory? - March 10, 2014
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Review: Season 39, Episode 15 with Host Lena Dunham - March 10, 2014
- Comedy Central Renews ‘Kroll Show’ for a Third Season - March 6, 2014
- ‘The Wire’ Creator David Simon Developing Martin Luther King Jr. Miniseries at HBO - March 5, 2014
- Bryan Singer to Direct ‘Battle Creek’ for David Shore and Vince Gilligan on CBS - March 3, 2014