Guardians of the Galaxy has been getting some very high praise since its release, and though some people have issues with the film, one moment that’s universally loved – spoiler alert – comes at the very end of the movie. Just before the final credits roll, it’s revealed that Groot is still alive, and as he grows in a small pot that Rocket put him in, the tiny Groot dances to the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back” as Drax (Dave Bautista) sharpens his knife in the background. Marvel has given the clip to Yahoo Movies, so check it out below:
If that doesn’t serve as a brief distraction from the insanity of our world right now and put a smile on your face, I don’t know what will. And to make it even better, Yahoo spoke with co-writer/director James Gunn, who revealed that Vin Diesel didn’t provide the motion capture for dancing baby Groot – he did.
Baby Groot dancing is 100 percent me. I was too embarrassed for anyone to be there, so I made everyone leave the room and I set up a camera and I videotaped myself dancing. Then I sent the video to the animators and had them animate over that. I begged them not to leak the video! Two of my closest friends came to an early screening and said ‘Hey, I recognize those moves! That’s you dancing isn’t it?!’
That image – of Gunn decked out in a mo-cap suit, sheepishly rocking out to the Jackson 5 while a select few people watched – is really fun to picture, and it turned out to be the basis for one of the film’s most adorable moments.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014