“How far are we planning on taking this?”
Turns out, pretty far. In Luke Greenfield’s (the guy who directed The Girl Next Door, which is actually pretty great in its own way) Let’s Be Cops, a pair of loser buddies do just that — they pretend to be cops. It starts off easily enough, as Ryan (Jake Johnson) and Justin (Damon Wayans Jr.) don some sweet cop duds for a costume party (which ends up being a masquerade party, driving home the point that these two cannot do anything quite right) and find that people’s reactions to cops are very different than their reactions to, well, losers.
Suddenly, they have respect! They have admiration! They have a fake cop car that they drive around in! Wait, what? Yup, the pair really do take things pretty far in their quest for purpose, pride, and the American way. Johnson and Wayans already have an established comedic chemistry with each other thanks to their work on New Girl, but they are also genuinely funny on their own, and slamming them down into a film with its own hilarious plot is just icing on the cake. This thing looks incredible.
The film’s first red band trailer just debuted, and it promises nothing less than your new favorite comedy.
Not sold yet? What if we told you that there is also dancing, Rob Riggle, and some very vicious sorority sisters? Get on it.
Let’s Be Cops opens on August 13.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014