What do you do when you’ve been around for 25 seasons? Pretty much anything you want…which is precisely what “The Simpsons” have done.
Whether it’s giving Guillermo del Toro free rein to direct the opening couch gag for last Halloween’s “Treehouse Of Horror XXIV” or doing their own take on shows like “The Prisoner” and films like Run Lola Run, The Simpsons are never ones to shy away from recognizing their “saints,” and this Sunday’s episode with a major homage to Hiyao Miyazaki and his wonderful company, Studio Ghibli, is sounding like it’s gonna be right in line with that mentality.
“Married To The Blob” will see Jeff the Comic Book Guy (Hank Azaria) trying desperately to get a date with a Japanese woman in the process of writing her autobiography, manga-style. And while THAT’S happening, Homer drinks “snake wine” mixed with aquarium water and enters a Simpsons “fugue” state (much like the time he ate all those ghost chiles and ended up talking to a wolf with Johnny Cash’s voice) and runs into many Simpsons-ized versions of Miyazaki’s best known and loved characters.
Check it out!
Miyazaki announced his retirement and with his supposedly final film The Wind Rises opening in regular release in February, I can’t think of a better way for Groening and Co. to show their love.
“The Simpsons” episode “Married To The Blob” airs this Sunday night at 8pm on FOX.
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015