When it comes to superhero movies, few have ever had as much go wrong with them as X-Men Origins: Wolverine did. With Deadpool finally finding onscreen redemption after being utterly butchered by Origins though, it looks like the X-Men universe might see the return of yet another Origins character that could have been awesome, but like the rest of the film, sadly wasn’t.
While appearing at the Academy Awards this year for his role in the Best Picture winner, Spotlight, Liev Schreiber revealed that there have been talks of him returning as Sabretooth in director James Mangold’s sequel to The Wolverine though. He said the following to MTV News:
“We talked about it. I don’t know. He’s mentioned it to me. The Old Man Logan story — that’s appealing. That’s something that I can do. Old, being the operative word.”
Honestly, out of all of the things that showed real promise in X-Men Origins, Schreiber’s Sabretooth was one of the most apparent. Squandered in a shotty film all the way around though, and Schreiber’s iteration of the character fell to the wayside unfortunately.
The Wolverine 3 will be Hugh Jackman’s last outing as the character though, and it would make sense to bring in one of Logan’s most iconic supporting characters in his final standalone film, especially if it means bringing on an actor like Liev Schreiber back to the role and giving him the chance to perhaps play it like he had originally intended. We’ll have to wait and see if this happens of course, but it seems like Wolverine 3 might just be the swan song for the character that we were all hoping for.
Wolverine 3 is set to hit theaters on March 3rd, 2017.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016