Yesterday’s final trailer for X-Men: Apocalypse ended with quite a shocking reveal for a number of comic book fans out there, as Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine was confirmed to be returning onscreen in the film, with one final shot of the character’s iconic adamantium claws being unleashed. Which, if I’m being honest, I would have been more than okay with not seeing until the film’s release next month.
It turns out, despite some previous reports as well, that Wolverine’s role in the film, while still brief, contains something much more important and substantial for the entire X-Men universe than we might have thought, which happens in that particular scene, according to director Bryan Singer.
The filmmaker spoke about Wolverine’s scene in the film with Empire recently, saying the following:
“Make of that what you want. I will say, it’s not simple. There’s something more pivotal that occurs with that. It hints to a sequence that again fits within the canon of all six movies, and the birth of a new direction. It’s not insignificant, nor is it simply just a throw-in… It’s not the only shot you’re gonna see, let’s put it that way.”
There’s no telling what Singer might mean when he says that the scene marks the “birth of a new direction”, especially since Jackman is set to reprise the Wolverine role for the final time next year, in the possibly R-rated Wolverine 3.
Singer is clearly being cagey about what’s he’s allowed to say about the scene and what he’s not, but after Days of Future Past seemed to tease a possible important change in Wolverine’s story, there’s no telling how this new scene in particular might feed into not only the final Wolverine film, but also the rest of the X-Men films as well.
X-Men: Apocalypse is set to hit theatres on May 27th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016