I’m already looking forward to the “Janssen or Turner?” joke in the Deadpool sequel.
Among the many recastings and younger additions to the X-Men franchise, perhaps one of the best and most anticipated is Sophie Turner as Jean Grey in this summer’s X-Men: Apocalypse. After being played by Famke Janssen in the first X-Men films, Turner is set to offer a much different side of Jean than we have seen onscreen previously, younger, and possibly even more unpredictable.
The film’s teasers have only offered brief glimpses at Jean’s role in the story, but it looks like she might have an even greater sense of the danger Apocalypse (Oscar Isaac) brings to their mutant world than those around her.
While recently speaking with EW as well, Turner spoke on what separates her Jean from the previous onscreen iterations, and her blossoming relationship with Tye Sheridan’s Cyclops in the film:
“The difference between this and Famke’s Jean Grey is she’s young and isolated and so insecure and very alienated – even from the other mutants – because she’s so powerful. So there’s a real vulnerability to her and it’s great to see how her and Scott [Tye Sheridan] find each other through that alienation. She’s a great role to play, she’s so much fun, and her arc in the movie is amazing.”
I’m aware I might get killed for this by some fans, but I’m looking forward to seeing Jean onscreen through the eyes of someone other than Wolverine, especially when it comes to her relationship with Scott Summers, and how they initially fall in love. She’s such a powerful and important character in the Marvel comics, that getting to see her have a story of her own that might not become overcrowded by the relationships she has could make this the best onscreen version of Jean we’ve gotten yet.
Also, is it bad that the main reason I’m excited for this, even more than the X-Men branding, is Oscar Isaac? No? Okay, good.
X-Men: Apocalypse is set to hit theatres on May 27th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016