The big screen has long been home to all sorts of big, scary, furry monsters – hey there, werewolves – but there’s something special about the charms of Bigfoot, one of the most enduring examples of “hey, it could be real!” in horror cinema. Bigfoot hasn’t quite gotten his due on the silver screen (perhaps because people are still trying to find him in real life?), but a brand-new movie about the hairy beast just might change that.
If nothing else, it sure sounds like the kind of full-bodied Bigfoot film horror fans have been searching for.
Lionsgate has announced (via ComingSoon) that they’ve picked up the North American distribution rights to Eduardo Sanchez’s Exists, a new found footage feature that the director premiered over the weekend at the SXSW Film Festival. The low budget feature has been kept relatively under wraps, and all that’s been released about it from Sanchez and company is that it focuses on “five friends on a camping weekend in the remote woods of East Texas [who] struggle to survive against a legendary predator that is stronger, smarter, and more terrifying than anything they would have ever believed exists.”
Penned by Jamie Nash, the film stars Chris Osborn, Dora Madison Burge, Roger Edwards, Samuel Davis, Denise Williamson, and Brian Steele.
Sanchez is best known for directing the original The Blair Witch Project, but he’s lately had a bit of a resurgence in the horror world, thanks to his 2011 feature Lovely Molly and his contribution to V/H/S/2 (the segment “A Ride in the Park” is his work). Sanchez and screenwriter Nash have previously collaborated on a number of projects, including both Lovely Molly and “A Ride in the Park.”
What do you think? Could this be the Bigfoot movie horror fans have been waiting for?
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014