It’s safe to say that last year’s The Lego Movie managed to defy all expectations. What was being looked at as the definition of a cash grab by a studio, ended up becoming not only one of the most successful movies of 2014, but also one of the best reviewed films of the year as well.
Which is why it shouldn’t come as a surprise that Warner Bros. is already planning a sequel to the film, as well as an already announced spin-off film, Lego: Batman. Will Arnett will be returning to voice the caped crusader after his stellar job in The Lego Movie, as well as Michael Cera coming on board to voice his sidekick, Robin – and it looks like we may know our villain ladies and gentlemen.
THR is reporting that actor and comedian, Zach Galifianakis is in final negotiations to voice The Joker in the spin-off film. That’s right everyone, Zach freaking Galifianakis will be voicing one of the greatest comic book characters of all time. Let’s just let that sink in for a moment. Ready to move on? Cool.
Phil Lord, Chris Miller, and Dan Lin are producing the film with Lego Movie animator, Chris McKay set to direct it from a screenplay written by Seth Grahame-Smith.
This is an incredibly strange choice for this role, but at the same time, makes perfect sense. Galifianakis’ voice and persona should fit perfectly with this version of the character, which is almost certainly going to fall on the more comedic side of The Joker, rather than the villainous psychopathic side. It is a kids movie after all.
Let’s all just hope that Lego: Batman can live up to the expectations coming off of The Lego Movie though, and doesn’t fail to hold its own.
The Lego: Batman movie is set to hit theaters on February 10th, 2017.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016