By now, it should be fairly obvious that when you pair up Tina Fey and Amy Poehler for any kind of project — be it a television show, a movie, or hosting an awards show — a glittery ton of magic happens. They’re just good together, so the news that the two very funny ladies are teaming up to make another film (Remember Baby Mama? How about Mean Girls?) is very firmly of the “also very good” variety. Even better? They’ll be joined by an old friend, who just so happens to be yet another very funny lady.
Variety reports that Poehler is in final negotiations to join The Nest, a female-driven comedy that Fey has long been attached to. Concieved of and written by Paula Pell — a very talented Saturday Night Live writer who has written for the show since 1995, and worked with both ladies on the sketch comedy series — The Nest is about a pair of thirtysomething sisters who return to their childhood home to find it unexpectedly on the market. Obviously, they then go out for a totally wild weekend.
Icing on the cake? The film will be directed by Jason Moore, who most recently directed the smash hit (and aca-awesome) Pitch Perfect.
Fey and Poehler have done plenty of work together that requires both of them to fire on all cylinders — they quite memorably served as the only female duo to host SNL‘s “Weekend Update” when they were both on the show — and they starred together in 2008’s Baby Mama as a very mismatched pair of kinda friends thrown together when one has what the other wants (Fey wants a baby! Poehler is knocked up!). They’ve also had some big success when it comes to hosting the Golden Globes together, a normally thankless gig that they’ve brought their own charms to twice now.
Another Fey/Poehler feature film? Yeah, we’re sold.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014