Right now, Batman: The Killing Joke seems to have more anticipation and hype surrounding it than even some of DC’s live-action films do. Adapted from the famous (if not controversial) comic book from the 90s, the film recruited both Mark Hamill as The Joker and Kevin Conroy as Batman, two of the most iconic iterations of the iconic characters, last year and has steadily turned into one of the most faithful book-to-screen adaptations that we’ve possibly ever seen in the comic book movie genre.
After receiving an official R-rating and the debut of its first official teaser trailer as well, the release date for Batman: The Killing Joke has been announced, following its premiere later this summer at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con.
DC Entertainment will be releasing the animated film first in Digital HD on July 23rd, before letting it hit the shelves on blu ray and DVD on August 2nd, making its release date almost exactly one year after the announcement of Mark Hamill’s casting in the film. You can pre-order a copy of the film for yourself as well, by clicking right here
Widely recognized as the only real origin story for The Joker, The Killing Joke is known for both its twisted darkness and analyzation of insanity, and also for its controversial treatment of Barbara Gordon throughout the story, who’s role in the comics and DC universe was changed forever after that one fateful knock on her apartment door.
Judging from the trailer and the R-rating, it’s seeming more and more like the film adaptation will be keeping very close to the source material’s treatment of the character, and it will be interesting to see how the film is received later this year. If it’s revered for its faithfulness to the original story, or criticized for the very same reason.
Batman: The Killing Joke will be released digitally on July 23rd, and on blu ray and DVD August 2nd.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016