Show of hands – who here has already seen Captain America: Civil War? Alright, now who here has already seen it more than once?
It doesn’t come as much of a surprise that the newest film from Marvel Studios is already doing incredibly well overseas at the box office, with international audiences already raving about the film, in addition to the overwhelming critical praise it’s been on the receiving end of for the past month or so as well.
Now, as the film opens in US theatres today, the first domestic box office numbers for the film are in following last night’s Thursday previews, and it looks like Civil War is staying on track with some of the studio’s other high-profile films fairly well so far.
Civil War brought in a large $25 million from its Thursday night previews alone last night, just barely behind Avengers: Age of Ultron‘s $27.6 million last year, but ahead of some of their other notable outings including Iron Man 3 ($15.6 million), The Avengers ($18.7 million), and more. The film did bring in $3.1 million in IMAX theatres last night though, making it a new record for Marvel, beating Age of Ultron‘s $3 million in IMAX previews.
As of right now, the film is one of the studio’s most critically-acclaimed outings yet, with a 92% fresh rating on the tomatometer, just barely behind the 94% on 2008’s Iron Man, and it looks like the box office numbers for the film are already starting to reflect that.
With the inclusion of new characters like Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther and Tom Holland’s Spider-Man, as well as a number of the major Avengers characters from the other films (sans Thor and Hulk), Civil War is without a doubt Marvel’s most ambitious film to date. With many already calling it the best Marvel film yet though, and the box office numbers steadily increasing with each passing day, it looks like the studio’s biggest gamble also has the potential to be their biggest payoff as well.
Captain America: Civil War is in theatres everywhere now.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016