We’ve known that Godzilla director Gareth Edwards will return to direct Godzilla 2 for quite some time now, but he has “a small little sci-fi movie” he’s working on next, so Godzilla 2 won’t hit theaters for at least another four or five years. But that didn’t stop Legendary Pictures from teasing who the King of the Monsters will battle next at Comic-Con this afternoon.
Near the end of the panel, the company showed off a brief video of destruction around the world that included a voiceover from JFK and text that popped up on screen that said, “There is still one secret that remains hidden…there are others.” OH SNAP. Then, three classic Godzilla monsters were shown: Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah.
Mothra, a giant moth-like kaiju worshiped as a deity on a tropical island, is generally presented as peaceful and only fights to protect itself. Rodan, a mutant pterosaur, has been both ally and enemy to Godzilla over the years. And Ghidorah, a three-headed dragon-esque alien, can fire gravity beams from its mouth. So yeah…sounds like Godzilla will have his hands (or paws, or scales, or whatever) full for quite some time to come.
Mothra actually appeared in a brief Easter egg in Godzilla, but the others weren’t alluded to in Edwards’ reboot of the franchise. It’s unclear whether these three characters will all appear in Godzilla 2, or if they’ll just be showing up in future Godzilla sequels down the line. Either way, we’re excited to see what Edwards can do with a sequel…when he finally gets around to it.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014