Happy week before Halloween, comics girls and boys! This week on Comix Chix I’m talking with my friend, Jody Houser, about the experience of working on the Womanthology project (both Heroic and Space – impressive, right?!?)
In case you’re unfamiliar with Jody’s work – she is the author of the story “Everwell” from Heroic (which can be found on pages 96-101 of the book). This is one of my favorite tales from the anthology, as it’s personal and sweet, plus it takes a unique approach to the concept of “being a hero.”
What also makes this stand out from every other piece in Womanthology: Heroic is that it is the only story which incorporates the work of two artists into one piece. Renowned comic book artist, Fiona Staples and comics newcomer, Adriana Blake worked together, using two very distinct and different styles of art to bring Jody’s tender story of a quest to save a loved one to life on the page.
It was a lot of fun chatting with Jody, I hope you all have as much fun listening as we did talking. Make sure to follow Jody on Twitter @Jody_Houser and keep up-to-date with what she’s currently working on by visiting her website.
Comix Chix Comics Picks – Wednesday, 10/24
- Revival #4 -and the second printing of #3, which sold out nationwide in September- (Image) hits retailers this week. If you haven’t been reading this awesome zombie-alien-demon-religious zealot-romance comic by Tim Seeley and Mike Norton, you should be! (You can check out my full review of the issue and some “Nortler”* type comments on Bleeding Cool!)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike #3 (Dark Horse) has a variant hitting retailers tomorrow which features an amazing cover by Jenny Frison. If you’re a fan of her work, this is one to add to your collection for sure! (Not to mention, Spike is always a fun read!)
- Ghost #1 (Dark Horse) is out tomorrow, too – the reboot of this classic DH character has been widely anticipated since a teaser short by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Phil Noto came out in Dark Horse Presents #13 earlier this year. While there are aspects of the original character present in this reboot, DeConnick is taking the series in an interesting new direction and I’m anxious to read #1 to see where she is going with it. Noto’s artwork is beautifully ethereal, of course – this is a book I recommend adding to your pull list, if you haven’t already.
Thanks for reading/listening! We’ll be back next week with guests Jill Pantozzi and Molly McIsaac who will be talking with me about the “NYCC Black Cat Harassment” and what cosplayers can do to shut down misogynist asshole pretend journalists.
Comix Chix is recorded for GeekNation at Spark Gap Studios in Chicago, IL. You can email us praise, complaints, guest suggestions and cute pictures of cute kittens at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow Kate on Twitter @AdorkableGrrl.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- Conan’s ‘Steve Jobs’ Parody is Exactly What You Want it to Be - October 8, 2015
- WWE Superstar Chavo Guerrerro, Jr. Pays Tribute to “Rowdy” Roddy Piper on ‘The Chavo Show’ - August 6, 2015
- ‘Doctor Who’ Recap: “Last Christmas” - December 26, 2014
- ‘Doctor Who’ Recap: “Death in Heaven” - November 9, 2014
- ‘Doctor Who’ Recap: “Dark Water” - November 2, 2014