The CW has shown interest in a forward-thinking drama produced by none other than Emmy-winning The Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons.
The Terranauts is based on a novel written by short story author T.C. Boyle, according to Deadline, with Zach Helm of Stranger Than Fiction hired to write the pilot.
The Terranauts is described as an epic story of science, society, sex, survival and, ultimately, human folly and ambition. Said to be inspired by the Biosphere 2 real-life experiment, the story revolves around eight scientists enlisted to run a biosphere that will prove vital for humanity’s survival in an off-Earth colony.
But like any good story, not everything is hunky-dory. Biosphere 2 is a real-life research facility in Oracle, Arizona, that has been operated by the University of Arizona since 2007.
It’s actually been used twice as a “closed-system experiment” over the past 25 years. The first was from 1991 to 1993, and a second for several months in 1994. The system ran into problems, however, because of food control issues, and the fact that the inhabitants didn’t seem to get along with each other very well.
As many script orders this time of year, The CW likely won’t make a decision on whether to move forward with a pilot until the end of the year. And even then, any series orders would take place next spring.
Latest posts by Michael Hinman (see all)
- ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Magically Turns Dumbledore Into Jude Law - April 14, 2017
- Josh Brolin Pulls Double Duty, Taking On Cable - April 13, 2017
- Worf Actor Rejects ‘Discovery’ Appearance Over Money - April 13, 2017
- The Tricorder Is Here: Self-Funded ER Doc Wins X Prize - April 13, 2017
- ‘Boss Baby’ Still Box Office Boss … But Not For Long - April 10, 2017