It’s full steam ahead on the TV adaptation of Terry Gilliam’s 1995 hit viral apocalypse film 12 Monkeys. Deadline reports that Emily Hampshire (“Rookie Blue”, The Trotsky) and Tom Noonan (“Hell On Wheels”) have been added to the cast that already includes Amanda Schull (Dr. Cassandra Railly), Kirk Acevedo (Ramse), and Noah Bean (Aaron Marker).
Noonan will take on the role as leader of the “Army Of The 12 Monkeys,” but it’s the role that Emily Hampshire (above) is playing that has Hollywood and fans abuzz.
Cole – played by Bruce Willis in the film and X-Men 2/X-Men: The Last Stand’s Aaron Stanford in the show – encounters Hampshire’s character when he is institutionalized after landing in the wrong year and having a bit of a freak out. Cole’s appointed crazy pants friend is really into animal rights, anti-consumerism, and liberal use of the middle finger.
Sound familiar? That’s because she’ll be playing a female version of the role that Brad Pitt played in the film – a part that earned him his first Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
Yup. Jeffrey Goines is now Jennifer Goines, “a dangerous, unstable mental patient who might have the key to unraveling the mystery of the 12 Monkeys locked away in her head.”
I’ll admit I’m crazy (pun intended) curious to see how this gender switch will turn out, seeing as Pitt originated the role and you can only get away with so much on premium basic cable. I’m pulling for Hampshire, but I’m also slightly skeptical.
Production starts August 6th in Toronto, so I guess we’ll have to wait until next year to see what up. But until then, what do you think of the gender switch? Watch the trailer for the series below:
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015