Ethan Hawke probably isn’t the first name you think of when coming up with a list of action stars. He’s mostly known as a hard-working actor who headlines solid, lower budget films like Before Midnight, Sinister, and Training Day, but now he’s getting his chance to star in an intense action thriller of his own.
(WB pulled the trailer from YouTube. Watch it here at Apple.)
Getaway isn’t exactly the most original premise – it’s basically Taken meets Phone Booth – but Hawke always does good work, so hopefully he doesn’t disappoint here. He can probably thank Liam Neeson for kicking so much ass in Taken, considering that movie seems to have spawned a whole series of films that feature older actors in kickass action roles. (Kevin Costner is another beneficiary of this trend.) But looking at the photo above, is that a toothpick in Hawke’s mouth? Come on, dude – Gosling JUST did that in Drive like two years ago. Get another object to stick in your mouth if you want to look cool, like a match or something.
Getaway comes from co-directors Courtney Solomon (Dungeons and Dragons) and Yaron Levy, and it feels like these up and coming guys are using this project as a calling card to show what they can do. Selena Gomez – who made good headway trying to escape her squeaky-clean Disney image by starring in Spring Breakers this year – looks dreadful here, but I suppose this could end up being a fun genre exercise if the script has a little kick to it.
Getaway hits theaters on August 30th, 2013.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014