Harry Potter fans are only a few more months away from returning to the Wizarding World on the big screen again in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the first film in a new trilogy of prequels set seventy years before the events of the Potter films, following a Magizoologist named Newt Scamander as he travels with his various magical creatures through the unique world of a 1920s America.
It was announced a couple of years ago, before any of the cast or even director had been chosen for Fantastic Beasts, that the story of Newt Scamander would be told in a trilogy of films rather than one standalone installment, with J.K. Rowling herself even confirming the planned sequels once again several months ago. While we’re still waiting to see just how the first one turns out though, it looks like Warner Bros. remains very confident in the prospects of their latest fantasy franchise.
THR is reporting that the studio has officially slated the first Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them sequel for a release date on November 16th, 2018, just a little less than exactly two years from the first film’s release date this year. No plot details for the sequel are known, though I imagine we’ll have a much clearer idea of what it’ll be on November 19th of this year.
In regards to the studio’s confidence in the franchise, this either means that they’re so happy with the first Fantastic Beasts that they have no problem moving forward more with the sequels already, or it could mean they’re just confident that the success of the Harry Potter brand will be present here once again, simply because of the brand name alone. If we’re being completely honest though, knowing how the studio system works, it’s probably a little bit of both.
Meanwhile, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is set to hit theatres on November 18th.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016