Adam Sandler has been in a creative rut since Judd Apatow’s Funny People was released in 2009. That film lampooned the type of high concept garbage comedies Sandler had made in the past, and the actor seemed to have a sense of self-awareness about his career trajectory that made Apatow’s film work on multiple levels. But soon after that movie came out, Sandler returned to making exactly the same kind of crap that Funny People made fun of. The actor was recently listed as the most overpaid actor of 2013 by Forbes, and it’s because he’s been able to command high-end paychecks for cinematic junk like Jack & Jill, That’s My Boy, and the Grown Ups movies.
Guess what? He’s at it again. Here’s the new trailer for Blended, a movie being billed as a “comedy” that co-stars Drew Barrymore.
It’s pretty obvious to me that Sandler has traded self-respect for cash and the freedom to travel the world whenever he wants with a bunch of his friends. If he’s able to sleep at night, good for him. I just find it hard to believe that a guy who would take the role he did in Funny People could justify resorting to making nothing but these kinds of movies for the rest of his career.
Sandler used to make some interesting choices in his work. Now the only choice he’s making is what foreign locale he wants to go to next, and which of his buddies he wants to bring along for the ride. I think we’ve lost the “real” Adam Sandler for good.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014