Frank Darabont went from being famous for writing and directing The Shawshank Redemption to being famous for being the showrunner of the first season of AMC’s smash hit “The Walking Dead” before being ousted from that show by the network. Since then, he’s co-written the screenplay for the upcoming Godzilla film, but other than that, he’s been fairly quiet. We’ve been patiently waiting to see what he’d churn out next, and now we have our first look at his new project: a six episode TNT drama series called “Mob City.” Previously known as “Lost Angels,” the show is a slick-looking piece of noir storytelling set in 1947 L.A. Based on the book L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America’s Most Seductive City, the story follows a batch of good cops caught between the corrupt police force and the organized crime that threatens to take over the entire city.
If you’re a fan of film noir, this is a story you’re very familiar with. We’ve seen extremely similar stories told in the L.A. Noire video game and in Ruben Fleischer’s Gangster Squad in the past few years alone. But Darabont is a fantastic writer and a pretty damn solid director, too – Shawshank was his directorial debut, which still blows my mind – so hopefully he can bring something fresh to the table over the course of six episodes. Also interesting is the cast, which includes character actors like Neal McDonough, Ed Burns, Simon Pegg (!), Jon Bernthal, Gregory Itzin, and more. Check out the first trailer below, or at this link:
“Mob City” premieres on Wednesday, December 4th at 10pm on TNT.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014