I want Johnny Depp back. Don’t you? Wouldn’t you like to see another legitimately great performance from a guy generally considered to be one of the best actors of his generation? The trailer for Mortdecai came out today, and unfortunately, this does not look like it will grant my wish.
I thought his 2009 portrayal of John Dillinger in Public Enemies worked very well, and I never got around to seeing Transcendence, but those are essentially the only “normal” guys he’s played in the past five years. I’m not sure if it’s the filmmakers he’s working with, or an active choice on Depp’s part to seek out these kinds of roles, but I hope that he doesn’t pull an Eddie Murphy here.
Murphy was one of the biggest stars on the planet – a bankable A-lister – but after a string of terrible choices, audiences essentially rejected him at the box office. Like Murphy, I think Depp is too talented to end up with that fate, but his upcoming slate of projects – which includes sequels to Pirates and Alice in Wonderland – doesn’t do much to comfort me. Yes, Mortdecai could end up being surprisingly funny and charming, and I sincerely hope that it is. But that trailer makes it look like another step in the wrong direction.
Do you think there’s still hope for Depp to make a comeback? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014