Turns out, this weekend was a banner couple of days for fans of kid-classic eighties films like Goonies and Gremlins, as Goonies director Richard Donner blabbed to the paparazzi that the former film is getting a sequel and now we have word that the latter already-announced remake is chugging right along.
Over at Ain’t It Cool News, a report on Goonies II includes a small mention that the long-rumored Gremlins remake is also “moving quickly at WB.” The Joe Dante film has been the subject of remake rumors for many years, but some buzz from last spring sure made the production seem like it was actually moving forward.
Back in May of last year, we heard that not only was the production officially set for a remake, but that novelist/producer/screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith was on board to produce the feature alongside David Katzenberg. Little else about the project is known as of now – including who will write the feature, direct it, and what sort of casting they are looking for – but it has always been deemed a remake, at least in this incarnation, so it’s reasonable to assume that it will be another kid- and teen-focused outing about the introduction of those pesky and adorable mogwai.
Dante’s original film hit theaters in 1984, and while it did see its own sequel – 1990’s Gremlins 2: The New Batch – the beloved film has always seemed ripe for more adventures. As the first two features focused on the adventures of Zach Galligan’s Billy Peltzer and his ultra-cute mogwai Gizmo, it seems feasible to center a feature on some other wily teen and his (or her!) adorable pet and his crazy relatives.
At the very least, there are plenty of chances for some big merchandising opportunities, and goodness knows that’s one way to drive franchises these days. (And, yes, we would happily buy a brand new plush Gizmo.)
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014