The headline pretty much says it all for this one: Variety reports that Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx is attached to portray boxing legend Mike Tyson in an upcoming biopic. Well, I suppose the headline doesn’t tell you everything you need to know: Terence Winter, the screenwriter of The Wolf of Wall Street and executive producer of “The Sopranos” and “Boardwalk Empire,” is on board to write the film.
It’s still early in the process – Foxx’s manager Rick Yorn will produce, but no studio is attached yet and no director has committed – but this seems like a good fit. Foxx is known for playing larger than life personalities on screen, and Tyson fits the bill. Coming from the high of being one of the best boxers in the world, Tyson spent six years in prison for rape, bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s ear during a match, and declared bankruptcy in 2003. He’s since starred in The Hangover and is performing a one man show around the country.
This project may bring to mind another boxing biopic, Michael Mann’s Ali, which starred Will Smith as Mohammed Ali and coincidentally starred Foxx as Ali’s corner man, Dwight Brown. (Foxx also worked with director Michael Mann in Collateral, so the two clearly have a functioning working relationship; perhaps Foxx should give Mann a call and see if he’d be interested in returning to the ring once more. What do you think about this casting? Think Foxx will make a good on-screen Tyson?
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014