With yesterday marking the 75th anniversary of the Joker’s first appearance in Batman #1, director David Ayer chose to mark the occasion in a very special way: by releasing the world’s first look at Oscar winner Jared Leto embodying the iconic DC Comics villain on Twitter.
See the image below:
In addition to this being the first-ever look at Leto’s Joker, it’s also our first look at what the design philosophy for Suicide Squad may be. On the surface, there are certainly several things that make the physical appearance of the film’s Joker unique when compared to his predecessors. Unlike the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight approach, this Joker appears to have bleached white skin as opposed to simply smearing paint on his face. His front teeth look like they’ve been covered in chrome, and of course, the addition of the tattoos is the biggest visual departure/innovation that this version makes.
This version of the character could also be the one that eventually faces off directly against Ben Affleck’s Batman in a solo film for that character down the line, but it should prove interesting to see just how the Joker is established in this burgeoning new DC cinematic universe. Whether Suicide Squad lays the groundwork for future appearances of the Joker or not isn’t currently known, but one thing’s for sure: the Clown Prince of Crime has certainly never looked like this.
Stay tuned for more on Suicide Squad as it develops!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015