Last month, we reported that actor Tom Hardy was forced to drop out of playing Suicide Squad commander Rick Flag in David Ayer’s upcoming DC Comics-based film due to a scheduling conflict, and that actor Joel Kinnaman (RoboCop, “The Killing”) was up to replace him. We now know that Kinnaman will, indeed, be appearing in the film, which is slated to begin shooting soon.
According to Kinnaman himself in a brief statement to the French movie website AlloCiné (via IGN), he confirmed his involvement in the film, with his only other statement on the matter being, “it’s going to be amazing.”
Ayer’s Suicide Squad film will be the third official entry in Warner Bros.’ burgeoning DC Comics-based cinematic universe, taking place in the same world as 2013’s Man of Steel, as well as the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, releasing next March. Kinnaman’s character, Rick Flag, has largely been depicted in the comics as the Squad’s field commander, directly answering to Dr. Amanda Waller, the team’s founder and government overseer. Flag, a capable soldier and commander, comes with his own set of issues, such as deeply resenting the criminals he works with. Being on the same team with Deadshot in particular causes friction from Flag’s perspective, since he is digusted by the notion that they’re at all alike.
Suicide Squad will also star Will Smith as Floyd Lawton/Deadshot, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, Cara Delevingne as Enchantress, Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, and Jared Leto as the Joker. It will be released in August of 2016. For more on the film as it develops, keep an eye on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015