After an 18-month battle with cancer, legendary musician David Bowie has unfortunately, passed away. His Facebook page recently confirmed the sad news to the world earlier tonight, much to the shock and despair of the millions of fans he had affected throughout his decades of fame.
The statement reads:
“David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief.”
An icon in the glam rock scene, and one of the most prolific artists of his time, Bowie’s impact has been felt through all forms of art, whether it be in literature, films, TV, or music. Dabbling in all different genres and types of music as well, Bowie was a jack of all trades when it came to rock and roll, and made his breakthrough with the iconic 1972 album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars. He also boasted an impressive film career to match as well, with roles in titles like Martin Scorsese’s The Last Temptation of Christ, Just a Gigolo, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, The Prestige, Labyrinth, and more.
Prepare for more details to come in the coming days as well regarding the circumstances of Bowie’s passing, but until then, we’ll leave you with one of our personal favorites of Bowie’s, which continues to act as a rock and roll anthem in our minds, and will likely be played often in the months, and years to come:
RIP David Bowie January 8th, 1947 – January 10th, 2016.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016