After “Community” was surprisingly renewed for a fifth season, with series creator and original showrunner Dan Harmon returning, the cult comedy series is getting a guest star from a cult sci-fi series.
Deadline reports Nathan Fillion, star of the short-lived cult series “Firefly” and the ABC series “Castle,” will guest star on the gestating fifth season of “Community” in an episode that follows Annie (Alison Brie) and new Professor Hickey (played by guest star Jonathan Banks) as they “team up to navigate Greendale’s corridors of power.” But they have to deal with the likes of Bob Waite (Fillion), a politically savvy custodian “who’s not afraid to get his hands dirty but is smart enough to wear rubber gloves.”
Fillion has been a fan of the series for awhile, and he even posted this photo after a visit to the set:
It’s been awhile since Fillion has taken on straight-up comedy, but he’s been prominent in series like “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and films like Serenity (the film continuance of “Firefly”). But mostly, Fillion has been busy with “Castle,” which has lasted six seasons so far. No doubt fans will be excited about Fillion heading to Greendale, and it should make for quite a guest spot.
Of course, we’re still a little worried about the state of the series with series regular Donald Glover leaving the series, since he’ll only be appearing in five of the 13 episodes scheduled for this season in favor of his own series “Atlanta.” We’re hoping for the best, but this might end up being the swan song for “Community.”
Latest posts by Ethan Anderton (see all)
- UPDATED: Will Ferrell & Kristen Wiig Shot a Secret Lifetime Movie Called ‘A Deadly Adoption’ - June 3, 2015
- Over 13,000 Fans Petition to Save ‘Tron 3’ from Being Derezzed - June 1, 2015
- ‘Jaws’ Returning to Theaters for 40th Anniversary - May 28, 2015
- Could Wolverine Have a Cameo in ‘Deadpool? - May 26, 2015
- Jack Black Reteams with ‘Nacho Libre’ Director for ‘Micronations’ Comedy - May 18, 2015