Over the past few weeks, we’ve gotten various updates surrounding Twentieth Century Fox’s New Mutants film, which up until just recently was one of the most myerious comic book films in development. Set to be directed by The Fault in Our Stars‘ director Josh Boone, the film is said to have a YA vibe, with some of the most promising young actresses working today already rumored for some of the film’s lead roles.
Following Boone’s possible reveal of the mutant lineup as well, producer Simon Kinberg has confirmed the inclusion of yet another from the X-Men universe to be appearing in the film.
While recently speaking with Collider, Kinberg not only revealed that the film is eyeing a 2017 production start date, but also that currently, it will feature the appearance of Professor X:
“Right now, as the movie exists, Professor X would be a part of a New Mutants movie.”
Now, it’s unclear if Kinberg means Patrick Stewart’s Professor X or James McAvoy’s. However, Kinberg did recently reveal that the next X-Men film would be set in the 1990s, and with a 2017 production start date, it sounds like New Mutants could very well be that project, and would work for the younger characters and tone of the film.
Right now, Boone is juggling a number of projects including a currently stuck in development adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand, as well as working on the script for the Interview with a Vampire remake, which he is also eyeing to direct. His next film will be an adaptation of Stephen King’s Revival though, and with a production schedule for next year, it’s sounding more and more like New Mutants will be Boone’s next film after Revival. At this point, following Deadpool, Fox needs to continue diversifying their cinematic universe too, and New Mutants could more than breathe some new life into the universe, if done well.
New Mutants does not currently have a release date.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016