Jared Leto went especially weird with his performance as The Joker in Suicide Squad, and in case the trailers weren’t evidence enough of that, hearing about the strange gifts that he sent his cast members should be. Especially since they included sending a live rat in a box, anal beads, a dead pig, used condoms, and pornographic magazines to co-stars Margot Robbie, Will Smith, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, and more.
However, it turns out, he refrained from sending any of those gifts to one of the film’s cast members, in specific, in Viola Davis (who plays Amanda Waller) because, according to her, he would have regretted it.
While speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Davis revealed what she would have done if she had been on the receiving end of any of those gifts:
“He gave very interesting gifts, I did not receive any personally, or else I would have got my husband — who was called ‘Headache Ball’ back in the day when he played football — and I would have said, ‘Take care of the Joker.’”
So basically, Viola Davis would have had the reaction that I think a majority of us would have, which would be more of disgust than say, being impressed, which a majority of his other cast members seemed to express.
You do have to respect the levels to which Leto was willing to delve into the character and try and explore areas of his psyche that we haven’t seen onscreen yet. But then again, this all sounds all well and good and very Joker-y, that I just hope his actually performance in the film ends up being a more substantial performance and iteration of the character, than him just saying and doing Joker-y things. I hope that he manages to actually embody the character here, and it’s not just a Joker created to make headlines. So yeah, here’s to hoping.
Suicide Squad is set to hit theatres on August 5th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016