When Private Benjamin hit theatres in 1980, it was one of the year’s biggest box office draws and garnered three Oscar nominations: Best Actress for Goldie Hawn, Best Supporting Actress for Eileen Brennan, and Best Original Screenplay for the writing trio of Nancy Meyers, Charles Shyer, and Harvey Miller. It’s also one of my favorite films ever.
When I heard a few years ago that a reboot was a possibility and Anna Faris was attached to star, I was hesitant but decided I’d give it a chance, due to the fact that I’ve always felt Faris has that Goldie Hawn-like quality about her.
But now she’s out, and Collider says that the reboot will follow a redneck (Rebel Wilson) and a rich city girl “who get more than they bargained for when they enlist in the Marines to escape their present situations,” instead of a sheltered, high society rich girl who basically gets duped into joining the ARMY after her husband (hilariously played by Albert Brooks) dies of a massive coronary while consummating their marriage on their wedding night. I am NOT amused.
Okay, check out this scene between Goldie Hawn and the BRILLIANT Eileen Brennan. (By the way, if you’ve never seen this movie, do yourself a favor and remedy that.)
Now imagine what you’ll be watching with this reboot’s storyline from a yet-to-be-named director.
I LOVE Rebel Wilson, but for now, I’m in “hating everything about this reboot” mode. What about you? Sound off below!
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015