Yes, found footage movies needs writers too, and Paramount Pictures has picked two fresh ones to pen its latest Paranormal Activity film. Though you’ve likely never heard of scribes Jason Pagan and Andrew Stark, that’s going to change in a big way – and not just thanks to Paranormal Activity 5.
The pair seem to be firmly into the found footage genre, having previously written Almanac, a teen-centric found footage film that will hit theaters on February 28, 2014, and selling yet another FF script (titled Raindrop) to Paramount just last month.
THR reports that Pagan and Stark will reportedly write “scriptments that will serve as the basis for the found footage movie” (scriplets? Miniscripts?), though no details on the plot are currently available. It’s probably safe to assume that the film will pick up either after the events of the eighties-set PA3 (here’s hoping!) or the modern-era PA4. Anything else would just be messy, right? (Pretends that the mythology of the series isn’t already a holy mess.)
While this year will be the first without a new PA film since the monster (er, figuratively speaking) franchise stormed the box office in 2009, the studio has already lined up the first spinoff – the Latin-themed Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones – for next January and PA5 is due to slip into the traditional PA October release date of October 24, 2014.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014