Nicolas Winding Refn broke out with his moody 2011 thriller Drive, which turned star Ryan Gosling into an action hero (albeit a disturbed one). Now the duo is back with their new film Only God Forgives, a revenge movie that sounds like something Jean-Claude Van Damme would have starred in back in the ’90s: a man’s brother is murdered, and his mother orders him to head to Bangkok to take revenge on his brother’s killer.
The major difference between this and a JCVD project is style, and with Refn’s heightened lighting and penchant for filming violence in an almost beautiful way, cinephiles should be in for a treat when this film hits on July 19th. There’s an early screening of it at the Los Angeles Film Festival this week, and I’m going to try to make it over there if I can; if I can beat the rush line, I’ll have a review for you by this time next week. In the meantime, check out the brand new trailer for the film, which looks like a solid reunion between the Drive director and star.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014