I see visual effects breakdown videos of new theatrical releases pop up online here and there, but there are honestly so many out there, I very rarely write about them here. Many of them showcase the visual effects artists’ abilities to manipulate purely computer generated imagery – Spider-Man swinging from a web, for example – but it’s less commonplace to find something really special like this.
Slashfilm points out this brief look at the upcoming Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, but even though it’s only about a minute long, it gives us a really cool look at the motion capture performances of Andy Serkis and company as they embody their ape characters. I’ve always wanted to see a special feature on a Blu-ray that removes the special effects from motion captured characters and only shows the actors there, in full technical costume. How cool would that be? I’d pay a little extra to see Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug all decked out in a crazy mocap suit talking to Martin Freeman for the entirety of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Anyway, take a look at this DOTPOTA video, and let us know what you think in the comments:
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes hits theaters on July 11th, 2014.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014